- This event has passed.
Community Composting for Nashville Webinar September 29
September 29, 2020 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
The Nashville Food Waste Initiative is looking for partners to advance community-scale composting in Nashville. Do you already compost? Want to do more or learn how to recycle food scraps? Are you affiliated with an urban farm, community garden, school, or community venue that might want to become a demonstration site or pilot a program?
- Benefits of compost to climate protection, healthy soils, food waste recycling, and youth engagement & education;
- Existing composting operations and activities in Nashville;
- Sample community-scale composting systems and programs in other cities;
- Basic ingredients and best practices for successful community composting; and
- What you can do in Nashville.
Workshop to be led by Leading Expert Brenda Platt
Brenda Platt, Director, Composting for Community Project, Institute for Local Self Reliance, will be leading this workshop. Ms. Platt is a national expert with 33 years of experience promoting waste reduction and composting. She is the author of several groundbreaking reports including Beyond 40 Percent: Record-Setting Recycling and Composting Programs and the U.S. EPA’s Cutting the Waste Stream in Half. In 2017, the US Composting Council awarded Brenda its H. Clark Gregory Award for outstanding service to the composting industry through grassroots efforts.
- Sharon Smith, Metro Public Works
- Clay Ezell, The Compost Company
- Matthew “Beadle” Beadlecomb, Compost Nashville.
Sponsors: The Nashville Food Waste Initiative in partnership with the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Institute for Local Self-Reliance
Upcoming webinars in the Community Composting for Nashville series include:
- How to Set Up a Community Compost Demonstration and Education Site—Tuesday, October 13th, 3-4 pm CDT
- How to Set Up a Pilot Community Composting Project to Receive Community Food Scraps—Tuesday, November 10th, 3-4 pm CDT
- Networking Forum on Nashville Composting—Tuesday, December 8th, 3-4 pm CDT